Herstory of the Club
The Chico Women's Club building is built on occupied and historical Mechoopda Territory. The land was taken and allotted to John Bidwell in a Mexican land grant in the 1840's.
Chico Women's Club was created in 1913 by twenty-eight founding members, Annie Bidwell among them. Margaret March was the club's first president. Originally we were the Chico Art Club. In 1929 the club raised enough money to construct a building that would support art and community gatherings. It was completed in 1932. All records up to 1950 were lost in a fire. Member's names, even into the 50s and early 60s, were listed as "Mrs. Husbands name Here." In 1973 members initiated plans for Caper Acres and enlisted community help for its completion. Please join us by becoming a member to support the arts and community.